Since you don't need a link for tomorrow's readings, I'm just going to post a couple of questions to get the discussion going, and you guys can post your questions and comments here.
Do you think that getting rid of Happy Meal toys is the key to ending childhood obesity?
Regarding Melchior's tanning article, what do you think is the most effective or convincing part of her essay?
Stephanie M.
ReplyDelete"The Meltdown on Nuclear Meltdowns and the Resulting Radiation"
I really enjoyed this article. I felt like it was very well researched, and very informational. It is my opinion that the author did a good job of researching the topic and giving us the information without taking a stand on either side. I couldn't really tell if he was Pro nuclear power or against nuclear power. If his point in writing this article was to inform, I feel like he accomplished his goal.
Jared S
DeleteI couldn't agree more with what you said. In my opinion this article was superb! The writing kept me reading and it was written in a way that it was also very informative.
I agree 100% I learned so much from this article and I didnt feel like it was written in a dry boring way. The author did a great job of keeping me interested.
DeleteHannah Eaton
Great article I learned more in a few pages then I have my entire life on Nuclear Power, his simplistic way of writing really kept my attention and came across very informative!
Delete-Braxton Bohman
"The Death Penalty: An Ineffective Practice With Risk"
ReplyDeleteStephanie M
I felt like the author kind of went back and forth with her opinion. With that being said, it could very well be that her opinion is not very solid on the subject. I do think that she makes some very valid points about the death penalty. The one that struck me the most was when she said, "when such serious matters are handled by humans, there are bound to be mistakes and these mistakes are not worth the risk employed with the death penalty." I personally don't have a firm opinion on the death penalty, but some good things were brought to my mind from reading this article even though the author seemed to be back and forth between opinions. I guess I can understand how she feels, because I feel the same way on this subject.
Life sentence vs Death Penalty-sad way to look at it but the only way it would benefit society depends on what is more cost efficient, with our over flowing prisons losing a few people would probably benefit the system. If the Death Penalty was in more effect it would cost less and it actually might be used as a deterrent because as far as thinking I believe that most people don't really think about a death penalty especially those about to commit a crime worthy of it. Mainly because rarely do people get the death penalty, if it was a more popular form of sentencing then people truly might think twice!
Delete-Braxton Bohman
Stephanie M
ReplyDelete"The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity"
I do not think that getting rid of Happy Meal toys will end childhood obesity. I agree with Leon when she states that "The removal of the toys will not prevent a child from choosing a salad over a cheeseburger and fries. The simple fact is that the greasy, fried foods that are so detrimental to health are what keep kids coming back for more. These unhealthy options taste good, and that is why kids want them; the toy is just the added bonus." I am not a child, but I would have to agree that at a fast food restaurant, I prefer the greasy unhealthy food over a salad. Childhood obesity in my opinion is caused by parents. I agree with Leon also when she talks about 4 to 8 year olds not being the ones purchasing the meals. It is the parents. I have many other tangents on this subject, but will refrain for your benefit. :)
Bryson E. Wilson
Delete"The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity"
The whole getting rid of Happy Meal Toys is a stupid idea. Most of the time the toys suck anyways. At least that's what I thought when I was a kid. What kid wouldn't want to go eat at a place where they can hurry and eat then go play on the playgrounds that most of the fast food restaraunts have. The food is hardly on the kids minds when they go to a place like that. All they want to do is hurry and eat, take their shoes off, and go mess around!
Maybe if they had playplaces that were more chalenging and gave kids more to play on and burn off their happy meals this would be a solution.
DeleteI take my nephew to the park with his happy meal and toy, he could care less about the toy, or if it has wheels he takes it down the slides with him.
I would have to agree and say they need to make play places more physically challenging and even for more age groups!
Delete-Braxton Bohman
HAPPY MEAL TOYS
ReplyDeleteJared S
Getting rid of a happy meal toy will do literally nothing to end childhood obesity. The toy is an added bonus for everyone, and just because a person eat McDonalds doesn't mean they are obese. The only way to truly get rid of childhood obesity, is to completely get rid of fast food restaraounts entirely.
I totally agree with you,
DeleteAbdul alo
Shelbi Fernelius
DeleteIf you get rid of fast food restraunts you will be getting rid of thousands of jobs. If they changed the nutrients of fast food and put more healthier nutrients in the hamburgers etc. it would help with obesity. I also think kids are less active than they used to be, so if they become more active it would also help.
There’s a part of me that believes parents ought to be solely responsible for preventing their kids from eating too many Happy Meals, toy or no toy. Then again, as parents, we can’t be everywhere to make decisions all the time. The truth is that parents have more control of their children’s diet today than in the past. Companies have now been labeling the amount of calories in their food, giving out pamphlets, and posting nutritional facts by cash registers. Parents are capable of supervising and moderating their kid’s diets and the toy isn’t the problem. Childhood obesity is not caused by one thing obesity results from the interplay of multiple factors. McDonalds does offer alternative meals to kids that are healthier and will allow the kids to still get their advertised toy.
DeleteOn the other hand, there’s a part of me that sees just how many kids these days are struggling with their weight and feels like we ought to be doing something about it.
Stephanie M
ReplyDelete"People and Tanning: A Deadly Love Affair"
The most convincing part of her article for me happened at the very end when she was talking about her mother. It just brought it to life for me. Then her comment in the very last paragraph when she talks about how people tan to be attractive, then she asks the question "How attractive and healthy is a corpse?" The rest of the article was good information, but I relate with, and it becomes more real to me when put on a personal level.
I love when the writer include personal stories in their articles. It make me feel it is more real and close to my mind and understand it more. I was about to do a tan until I read this article. It totally changed my mind. I liked her way in writing, she is a good writer. Easy to understand.
DeleteFatimah Al
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete"People and Tanning: A Deadly Love Affair"
ReplyDeleteKaren Melchior shares a strong feeling to the subject of how tanning is hazardous to someone's health. She has a personal story of how her mother was killed by melanoma, after being treated for it. She explains all the pain and deformations her mother went through. Through her own experience, she knows the horrors of indoor tanning and it's negative effects.
Many facts are used as a way to put fear into the reader's mind about staying away from tanning beds. The article mentions how the risk of cancer increases dramatically by using them. It also talks about melanoma and all the effects from having it treated. But, the author even gives simple reason, such as burnt-red skin, which leads to others effects like wrinkled, saggy, and leathery skin later on. People want to look good, and this information will convince some to stay away from tanning to at least keep a healthy appearance.
Melchior states that indoor tanning is popular, which is why people like to do it. There is pressure behind it. But there are much better alternatives to get the positive benefits out of it, just by doing everyday things outside. But, the best control behind tanning is self-control. There is room to have a fair amount of tanning, but there is such thing as having too much.
I'm going to say that tanning it's bad, but I'd say tanning once a week isn't as bad as laying out in the sun every day. Obviously we know that to much sun exposure is unhealthy. I have seen some people who have go almost on a daily basis and been going along time and now they look like a leather bag! I go because if I don't I have such fair white skin with dark hair that I look sick without color. I dont think that too much of tanning worth it after hearing the damage it can do to your skin.
DeleteI can say I personally love tanning, and can see how it may become an addiction to some. I think the dose of vitamin D gives us a certain "Feel good" feeling. As much as I do love it, I refuse to tan in tanning beds, and the only tan I get is from outside yardwork, mostly farmers tan.
Delete"The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity"
ReplyDeleteThe author makes many good points in this article. The most convincing one is how obesity in children is related to the decisions of the parents. I'm probably going to complain about how many terrible parents I see out there.
I work at a grocery store, and I see parents who don't know how to control their children or follow through with a consequence. If your child won't sit down in the grocery cart when you ask, help them do it! If you say "You better stop before I count to three, or else I'm going to spank you!" Count to three and spank if they don't behave as they are expected. Don't start counting to five if they haven't done what they were asked by the count of three (true story)!
I found out about a study that was done among young children. They were given a large marshmallow, and were told they could eat it. But, if they waited 10 minutes without eating it, they could get another marshmallow. Some of the toddlers gobbled their marshmallow down instantly. Others could only wait a brief moment before giving into temptation and eating it. There were still some who waited the full 10 minutes to receive an extra marshmallow. This study was left at rest for quite a while. But, later on the people conducted the study saw something in the children who were in this test. The children who were able to wait were more successful in school, work, relationships, managing their resources, finances, and were overall more successful with their route in life. The children who couldn't wait had trouble with family, marriage, finances, school, and keeping a steady job.
It's up to parents to teach their kids how to do these things. Whether or not there's a toy in a Happy Meal, kids are still going to get obese from eating there. They must be taught how to eat healthy early on in life. Gerber, one of the largest baby food companies in the world, explain how healthy eating habits are learned early in life. Maybe changing the Happy Meal, whether by taking out the toy or just tossing out the cheeseburger, will bring in a few less customers. Changing the advertising won't keep the word from getting out to the public. That is how they keep business, just like any other company out there. It's not the fault of fast-food restaurants that people keep can't control themselves with the frequency of visits and items ordered. But, the best control on the situation is "self-control". That is how obesity will be prevented, with proper diet and exercise!
Jared S
DeleteI couldn't agree more! Even the idea that a toy could cause kids to be obese is absurd. If our political leaders think like that, we have bigger problems.
I like how you said we have "bigger" problems. Hehe. I think a lot of political leaders don't understand the life of the second class people. Many of them are too wealthy and blind to society to understand why people make their actions!
DeleteHAPPY MEAL TOYS
ReplyDeletewilliam Bailey
I fell that Happy Meals giving toys does not have to do anything with child obesity. Child obesity is being caused by the foods that children are eating. If there is healthier food in the Happy Meals and no fattening food at all like chicken nuggets or hamburgers kids will not eat happy meals.
The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity
ReplyDeleteWilliam Bailey
in my opinion the real cause childhood obesity is the fact that almost all fast food is literally just on healthy for you. I mean when you say yeah I'll go to Subway places there's nothing but sandwiches but you can say well I guess not all of its healthy then you have an American problem. If we don't start to look at the foods that were serving at how healthy they are then the corporations will continue to produce more and more unhealthier foods. If we do not care about obesity than the corporations definitely bargaining care due the fact that it's cheaper to make unhealthy food than it is healthy.
The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity
ReplyDeleteWilliam Bailey
I do feel that maybe the controversy of toys and happy Mills has helped change the way McDonald's looks at marketing and the foods that they make. Since this toy controversy more healthier foods it started coming into McDonald's and other fast food restaurants.
The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity
ReplyDeleteWilliam Bailey
I think that if perfect example of how the American people can change what's in her food is by the outpour when we found out that there was pink slime in our food. Many corporations such as McDonald's no longer carry any products with pink slime in them due to the fact that the American people saw it was gross and as a negative thing they decided to change it. So for us to be alleged change will be city and the companies that provide dues these obesity causing foods we have to maybe look down on them even in the most silliest things of the happy meal toys. These things can start a chain reaction of getting healthier foods with the same taste in restaurants that we love to eat at.
"The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity"
ReplyDeleteShelbi Fernelius
The toy doesn't cause obesity. It is the lack of "good" nutrtrients in the food. We have done this to ourselves. I talked to my mom about this and she said that the size of a hamburger used to be the size of the kid's meal hamburger. Now, we double-stack it and load it with fattening sauces. If more vegetables and fruits were put in the average diet the problem would be solved. There was a book I read called "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan and he basically says that everything is processed and we should eat more "leafs". If we look at other countries they don't seem to have the obesity problem like we do.
I agree Shelbi! I feel like our portion sizes are out of control and this is leading to obesity!
DeleteHannah Eaton
Jared S
ReplyDelete"People and Tanning: A Deadly Love Affair"
In my personal interactions with people who tan, they do it merely because of peer pressure. Is being tan really worth the rish that the author talks about? I think most people would agree with me and say no.
Jared S
ReplyDelete"The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity"
If the government wants to put an end to obesity, it will have to do much more sensible things than taking away a toy. To even attempt to end it, the food itself will need to be altered.
I agree with you! the government can only do so much when putting regulations on fast food... the gov can really only enforce with goes into the food.. but no matter what they do, the food will still be un-healthy if not eaten in moderation. it is 100% of the parents duties to controle how much their kids eat al well as what they eat.
DeleteZach O
When reading this article I felt the same way! However I dont feel like it is just the government. I feel like the people who buy the food need to do something too.
DeleteHannah Eaton
Jared S
ReplyDelete"The Meltdown on Nuclear Meltdowns and the Resulting Radiation"
I loved this essay. In my eyes it was incredibly well written and kept me reading to the end. The topic they chose to talk about was also very interesting. Before I knew a small amount about nuclear reactors, but now I feel like an expert! It was very cool to read about the way the reactors work.
Jared S
ReplyDeleteSanta Claus: Do You Believe?
This was an entertaining essay. It was actually very cool to read about the history and transformations that Santa went through. In my opinion though I think telling kids that Santa is real is perfectly fine. It brings joy and amazement to children, and really what is wrong with that?
Bryson E. Wilson
DeleteSanta Claus
I agree with Jared. The whole idea of someone bringing you toys on Christmas Eve then waking up to see it all in the morning is an awesome idea! some of my fondest memories as a child were when Santa Claus brought me some cool toys that I probably got into trouble with or hurt myself with later. Christmas isn't nearly as special without the magic of Santa, the North Pole, and presents
I think we should teach the spirit of giving rather than recieving.
Delete"Starting High School Later: Beneficial or a Waste?"
ReplyDeleteI think the author was making a strong point in her writing. The talk you always hear about in a high school environment is "I'm so tired" and "I have to work and do all my homework, so I can get some sleep tonight." Getting sleep seems to be the number one concern of high school students, even though they put it at the end of their priority list.
At my high school, they would have a "Late Start" day on the first Friday of every month. Instead of school starting at the normal 7:30am, it would start at 9:30am. So, each class was only cut by 20 minutes (we had A-Day and B-Day schedules), but school didn't end any later . When we had these "Late Start" days, I was usually more excited and willing to go to school. I focused better in class and had a better day overall. Even if I went to bed late the night before, I would still be ready to wake up between 8am - 8:30am the next morning.
There are fewer buses that pick up high school students, because many, if not most, high school students drive themselves to school. Many others get rides or carpool with their friends. The late start would give more notice to students to find rides to school, whether it be by car or the bus.
I now for a fact that starting high school later in the day, no earlier than 8:30am, will help students be less stressed in school. When I had those "Late Start" days, the school was a much more comfortable environment. More students were ready to be at school! This would definitely be a benefit to high school students, their families, and the school system itself to start high school an hour or more later in the morning!
"Santa Claus: Do You Believe?"
ReplyDeleteI was waiting for a certain topic to be brought up in this article, and it finally popped up near the end. It is based on what children know before they should be told that Santa isn't real. Kids grow up with a sense of imagination, which get them to dream and discover. When they begin to use simple reason to figure out the truth about Santa's existence, then parents can ask what their child thinks about it, and later reveal the truth.
These "white lies" the author speaks of will help children become more familiar with society. They will come to find out that society isn't perfect, so it allows a child to understand and grow intellectually for themselves.
But, since Santa Clause is such a well-known figure, children will grow up and remember the feelings they had as a kid. They will pass on the "magic" to their children, and see it from a different view. The traditions of Santa Claus and Christmas will also bring a closeness among parents and children. The love brings a strong contrast with what we normally see in the world.
I don't believe in Santa Claus. Santa Claus is someone who will remain in the hearts of children forever. He is the make-believe person who brings toys and other gifts to children at Christmas. To some western grown-ups, he is a special symbol of goodwill and selfless giving.
DeleteThe Real Cause of Childhood Obesity
ReplyDeleteI think it is just ridiculous to think that it is just a toy that could be the cause of childhood obesity! I will admit that I have been too busy or had a late class to make a dinner at home so I will take my family to McDonald's for dinner, but it has always been more than that. We are living a very sedentary lifestyle and exercising less and less. I think that for most kids today the only part of their bodies getting a workout is their thumbs because they spend so much time texting. It doesnt matter whether you keep or take away the incentive of the toy in the happy meal, it is up to the parents to encourage healthy eating and exercise; and up to the kids to be active and make the right choices.
-Amanda Holcomb
People and Tanning: A Deadly Love Affair
ReplyDeleteI think the most convincing part of Karen Melchior's article was actually a couple of things. First was the story of Glenna Kohl who took good care of herself but tanned and died at the young age of 26. second was "In the last 3 1/2 decades, the number of women 15 and 30 developing melanoma (the DEADLIEST type of skin cancer) has doubled!" and finally that UV lamps put out more UVA rays than the sun itself, a gigantic ball of fire, puts out less UVA than a tanning lamp does, and to think, when you are on a tanning bed you are about 2 feet above those lights! It scared me almost to death!
-Amanda Holcomb
I agree I found this article completely shocking! However, the most convincing part to me was when she brought it her own life experience. It hit home for me about how devastating this can be, not only for you but for your family and friends as well.
DeleteHannah Eaton
Santa Claus: Do You Believe?
ReplyDeleteI dont think that there is anything wrong with the tradition of Santa Claus. I remember when I found out about him, Santa had written me a letter about why I didn't get everything that I wanted, In my mothers handwriting. :) It did not scar me in anyway, and I am able to trust and have a new found respect for the myth. It is all about the magic of imagination and being able to believe in something so purely innocent. I will continue to tell the story of Jolly St.Nick and enjoy every minute of my son believing something that has a wonderful meaning, since so many things in this life do not have such good meanings.
- Amanda Holcomb
I agree! I dont think Santa is a bad thing at all. What he represents is extremely important to teach as well.
DeleteHannah Eaton
Santa Claus: Do You Believe?
ReplyDeleteIf you knew what you know now, would you still want to believe in Santa when you were younger? Or would you prefer to change the past so you never knew about him?
-Amanda Holcomb
I personally would have wanted to still believe when I was young. Some of those years were the best in my life. I wouldnt change that for anything. Besides "Santa" taught me a lot of important things
DeleteHannah Eaton
Starting High School Later: Beneficial or a Waste?
ReplyDeleteI don't think that changing the school schedule can make attitudes and increase motivation to go to school and do well. I believe that regimented sleep schedules can help with functioning, but motivation, performance, and attitude all depends on the child to make those things better. When I was a teenager it didn't matter if I went to bed at 5pm or 11pm if I got up at 6am I was still tired even with hours upon hours of sleep. Granted, I did function a bit better with more sleep, but that doesnt mean I did go to bed early every night. 9 times out of 10 I stayed up late, not just because I wanted to but because I couldnt sleep.
- Amanda Holcomb
Starting High School Later: Beneficial Or a Waste?
ReplyDeleteDo you think that changing the schedule really would have motivated you, initially it might have, but do you think it would have improved your overall experience or not?
-Amanda Holcomb
Shelbi Fernelius
DeleteThat is a good point. I think that if high school were to start later the students would want to stay out even since school wouldn't start till later. It will be the same no matter what time school starts.
I agree with Shelbi. I think kids would just stay up later and still be just as tired in class. Itd be "well I don't have to get up until 8 so I can stay up until 2."
DeleteHannah Eaton
Santa Claus: Do You Believe?
ReplyDeleteI believe! :D
In my Reading Response, I wrote:
"We shouldn’t force our children to not be children. They are young and they have a lot to learn. So do we. The really young, the middle age, and the older. All of us can learn a little something. I think we can all benefit from keeping our imaginations alive and there is certainly no reason to destroy a kid’s fantasies just because ours are dying.
On a completely different note, I like how the author wrote this story. She used a quote from a child asking about Santa Claus and ended her paper with the response to that question. One study was very old and I’m wondering if there would be any difference today. If I had to take a guess, I wouldn’t think so. Children are children. They easily forgive and sometimes they easily forget."
I am not saying that we should lie to kids but I think the lessons that children COULD learn from Santa Claus could be very good for them in the end. Even if they have to discover he isn't a real, living person.
"The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity"
ReplyDeleteRemoving that toy that comes with the meals maybe is going to lower the number of the kids who wants to go to these fast food restaurants. But it is not going to end obesity. There are many different ways to be obese. One of the important causes of that is what parents are feeding their kids just like Leon said "what parents are allowing their children to consume." I do not eat fast food at all. It is not healthy, full with calories, and comes with a free amount of fat which Leon claimed.
Fatimah Al
" The Death Penalty: An Ineffective Practice with Risk"
ReplyDeleteThe first story she talked about did really touch my heart. I totally agree with her when she said "I would without regret take the life of both these individuals." They both deserve to die. In saudi Arabia last year a father killed his 19 years old son، buried him in the desert and told everyone that he went broad to study. I can not believe people who kills their own child. Hall was not straight in her opinion, once she was totally with death penalty and then she is against it. It catch me when she said "I had the superficial notion that if someone committed murder, then it is reasonable that they be murdered."
Fatimah Al
Do you think that getting rid of Happy Meal toys is the key to ending childhood obesity?
ReplyDeleteNot at all. The toys themselves don't cause childhood obesity, but marketing does play an important role in what kids want to eat. Then again, if the meals were healthy in the first place, the allure of the toys wouldn't be an issue.
-Alli McNeil
"The Real Cause of Childhood Obesity"
Regarding Melchior's tanning article, what do you think is the most effective or convincing part of her essay?
ReplyDeleteFor me, using logic (logos appeal) to support her essay was a smart choice because the statistics about the dangers of tanning are almost irrefutable...well to most of us anyway. Appealing to people with logic is always an effective choice in academic writing.
-Alli McNeil
"People and Tanning"
Bryson E. Wilson
Delete"People and Tanning"
For sure tanning is bad for you! But I have went tanning before. I think it's terrible for you, however I have done it. Having that darker look to you makes you look much better in my opinion. Yes it's terrible, but tons of people are to ignorant to care about the effects later in life.
Exactly! If you want to look more beautiful in the long run, take care of your body the right way. Not by sitting in a box so you can turn orange lol
Delete-Alli
In regards to Myers' article "Starting High School Later," how many people had their classes begin after 8am? I know in Maryland it seems the earlier school starts, the worse it was for my friends and I!
ReplyDelete-Alli McNeil
"People and Tanning: A Deadly Love Affair"
ReplyDeleteI found this article kind of interesting because my mom tans all the time. Even in the summer. Cancer is a little bit of a sensitive subject for us, yet she does a few things, including tanning, that are proven to cause cancer.
I've gone tanning in a salon or whatever it's called once or twice before. I wonder how many of us go tanning just in our classroom?
One part of this article that caught my attention was the "addictive" side of tanning. I've mentioned this in class. I said that I thought it was funny at first and realized how strange it is that we humans can be addicted to just about anything!
the lady on the news was sick!! I recomend spray on tan!
ReplyDeleteI think i made 10 remarks on posts, this is the first time ive blogged, it seems a little scattered, and hard to find all of my posts.
ReplyDeleteDo you think that getting rid of Happy Meal toys is the key to ending childhood obesity?
ReplyDeleteI don't think it is the KEY but it is most definitely a step in the write direction. The toy isn't making kids fat the food is and thats what needs to be the KEY issue!
Braxton Bohman