Monday, May 14, 2012

Here is the link to your article for Wednesday.  Remember to read the Introduction article and then read each of the individual articles to the right.  Happy posting!

"The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

38 comments:

  1. I think that adults are starting to read fictional books like " the hunger games," harry potter," wizard glass,"lord of the rings," and "the lighting thief" etc. It gives adults a chance to escape reality and use their imagination and gives them a magical place to go and experience a crazy and wild adventure, that could never happen in "reality." I think that Humans, by nature, are attracted to "make believe" and" fairy tail " stories because anything out of the norm can happen! (Physics is to blame for not letting us have fun with magical powers, fly on broom sticks, and magic wands to cast spells) lol ;)

    Zach O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my comment is on "The Power of young adult fiction"

      Zach O

      Delete
    2. David Welch

      I agree with you. It is said in this article that "Authors who write for young adults are taking creative risks -- with narrative structure, voice and social commentary -- that you just don’t see as often in the more rarefied world of adult fiction."

      Delete
    3. I agree. I even go to a movie whatever kind it is to forget my problems and to be a way from the world. People sometimes need to live in a deferent life than the one they have.



      Fatimah AL

      Delete
    4. David Welch
      Movies is a great example. Just because you are older doesnt mean you have to watch documentaries.

      Delete
  2. "The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

    I feel that recent young adult fiction has become so huge, as far as book sales, because of the desire of some, maybe even most, young adults to escape the hectic and nonstop pace of today's lifestyles. As far as the argument made in "Adults Should Read Adult Books," written by Joel Stein, I strongly disagree. One should be able and also encouraged to read whatever they feel comfortable reading. Personally, I would rather not read an 'adult' book for fear of losing every ounce of interest; therefor, I would revert back to not reading at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I read "Adults Should Read Adult Books," by Jole Stein, all I could think was, you have with your "3000 years of written fiction for adults" (Stein) I will go and enjoy what I read and not have to battle to stay awake. I also like when Lev Grossman in his article "Nothing Wrong With Strong Plot and Characters" said "It's a different experience from reading, for example, literary fiction. Not better or worse, just different." Sometimes that's just what people need to enjoy reading again.

      Brian W.

      Delete
    2. To support what was stated in the previous article "Twilight of the Books", People are reading less for leisure. Obviously, reading for our own leisure is the most important reading of all for our own benefit. If Young Adult Fiction is the reason that everyone is becoming interested in reading, then there really is a "Power" behind it. People like the feeling of being a kid again, and Young Adult Fiction helps that. Where there is so much realistic feeling in an unrealistic circumstance, it definitely makes you want to experience something like that in real life. It throws out something that's different enough to make you wonder. This kind of reading is a way to get out for some. We tend to think more about it, and examine it in our own ways. We do this with our own actions in real life, too! This may offer more learning than adult fiction. If all we are learning from Adult Fiction is vocabulary that we will probably never use again, then Young Adult Fiction offers more with it's discussion of topics among so many readers!

      There are many older examples of Fiction that are still known today. I once read the original version of "Frankenstein". I'm not sure if this book is officially considered Young Adult Fiction, but it did take the normal environment of the setting it was written in, and added a twist to give more emotion in the plot -- the monster that he creates. It is a book I would consider easy reading. It definitely catches your emotions and makes you feel the aching for revenge on what the main character has lost. There are certain events that may remind you of something similar you felt. Either way, I felt satisfied when reading a novel that changed the way I felt. It made me think exclusively into my own self.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think now most of young adult people start to enjoy reading different of fiction !
    and as we can see most of young adult people buy the fiction books.

    in my personal opinion I thank that young adult should read goods book like scientists or business or any good books that they can read and learned for their future.
    For me I think if they what to read fiction like The hunger games or harry potter.
    They should not read at all. !

    Abdul Alo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Joel Stein's comments almost struck me as funny. It was interesting to read, but I did not agree at all. If we as adults are interested in reading and we have time to read, we should be encouraged to read whatever we see fit. I like to read for relaxation and I also like to read what my kids are reading, so that I can be included in their conversations and understand what they are talking about. It is a way for me to connect with them. I've said it before that my reading time is limited. Reading educational adult stuff is not always relaxing and enjoyable. When I have a minute to read, I want it to be relaxing. He seemed like an intellectual snob. Nothing wrong with being intellectual, he just didn't seem very well balanced.

    Stephanie M.
    "The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was supposed to be a reply to Austin Chalk's comment on this same article. Not sure what happened...

      Stephanie M.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you Stephanie! reading should be enjoyable and relaxing! read what ever fits your mood for that day, whether its fiction or not, as long as it's enjoyable!

      Zach O

      Delete
  6. "What are words on a page Without Love in your heart"
    Stephanie M.
    I thought this was very well written. The author covered many points that I wholeheartedly believe myself. I only wish I could put my thoughts on paper as well as she did.
    I echo her thoughts when she said, "Children today need to be entertained...Just reading words in a book is not enough to hold much attention anymore."
    How do you all feel about this? Do children these days need to be entertained more, and do you think it is because of technology that they are this way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel that children these day need more entertainment. With society today everyone is always in a go, go, go mind set. Children see this and everything going on with technology at their finger tips and they no longer need to sit down and read to find information or keep busy.
      Hannah Eaton

      Delete
  7. David Welch

    "the power of young adult fiction"

    I believe you can read whatever book you want to. If adults like reading young adult books than let them read them. Young adult books probably make it easier to escape reality because "Authors who write for young adults are taking creative risks -- with narrative structure, voice and social commentary -- that you just don’t see as often in the more rarefied world of adult fiction".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that when I read if it doesnt grab me and make me want to turn the next page its not going to last very long. Some of the adult fiction books that i have picked up i put right back down for that reason. Young adult fiction makes me want to see what is going to happen next

      Brian W

      Delete
  8. "What are words on a page without love in your heart"

    Hannah Eaton

    I felt that this article had some very good point that I felt many people can agree with themselves. However her style of writing seemed largely based on her opinion, she said "I" a lot. Did anyone else find her use of "I" overbearing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Hannah! I did like some of the points that she made. I am doing my reading response on this reading and because she said "I" a lot, it made it somewhat hard to write anything.. because a lot of what she said was based on her opinion.

      Zach O

      Delete
  9. The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

    In the reading, it would seem many of those with an opinion favored more of what emotion was brought out rather than what is being learned from reading. It seems as the world we live in has gone more to living in a fantasy world rather than living in reality. The future depends on what and how our kids are educated, not what Harry Potter is drumming up. Is there any wonder why the dropout rate of High School students nationwide is 33% and here in the great state of Utah, it is at 47%.

    Roy Gonzales

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelbi Fernelius

    "The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

    Who is to say what young adult fiction is? Just because it is intended for teens and adults read it doesn't mean that they aren't educating themselves. In my opinion, people like the thrill, action, and suspense of these so called "young adult fiction" books. Maybe if adult fiction writers were a little more creative people would read them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

    To me books are books. If you want to read a "young adult" book, then do it! If people are judging others for that, then we live in a messed up world! Let people read the books they want and don't give them any heartache about it! I personally love young adult books! I read the hunger games in a total of 4 weeks. Not to say adult books aren't good.. because they most definitely can be.

    Jared S

    ReplyDelete
  12. "The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

    We note how much the older generation is really starting to like the young adult fiction. You can really see that they are the best sellers, when you look at websites like Barnes and Noble, Borders, and Amazon, you really notice that the young adult fiction is at the top. They probably like the excitement of the the young adult fiction book.

    Armando.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "The Power of Young Adult Fiction"
    Reading books is useful for young adults and adults. I do not think there is a large proportion of young people are reading books, they will watch the movie about the same book, but they won't read the bbok. Reading books are useful especially for our scientific and practical life. so let everone read whatever they want. As long as it is enjoyable for everyone. For me, I love reading and I am glad to use what I learn of some of these books.

    Fatimah AL

    ReplyDelete
  14. "The Power of Young Adult Fiction"

    First off, I'd just like to say that people like to get carried away with their own thoughts and opinions. I found only half of these articles relevant to the topic. (lol)

    Anyway! I will take sides of the slaved minds of the adults reading young adult fiction (and watch me be a hypocrite here in a second) and say that I think young adult fiction is wonderful for adolescents and adults to read. I love reading young adult fiction but I also love reading more educational literature. It really just depends on the subject/topic.

    My other thoughts are about WHY adults read these kinds of books. Honestly, I think that part of the reason is that we're all jumping on a bandwagon. It's flashy, it's cool, it's action-packed and advertised just about everywhere. If someone you admire says, "Hey, so this book is great," you'll be thinking, "I should definitely read it!"

    Of course, the other reasons being what everyone else is suggesting, young adult fiction is simply enjoyable and, well, possibly addicting! It plays with your imagination and makes your brain really think about different situations. Referencing back to the article "Your Brain on Fiction," it could lead you to empathize with real life people who might be experiencing similar events to the characters in the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. non-fiction and educational literature books are great to read. like i said in class the other day, it's good to have a good balance between the two. like you said "we're all jumping on a bandwagon. It's flashy, it's cool, it's action-packed and advertised just about everywhere." there is truth to that. nothing is that simple with anything. there is always more to the equation whether the book is non- fiction or not. its like saying that "life" is based off of ONLY "love" and "fear," life isn't that simple. does that make sense ???????? LOL

      Zach O

      Delete
  15. Everyone should be able to read whatever they are interested in and like to read without being judged. Everyone has there own opinions, likes, beliefs, dis-beliefs, ect... I feel like alot of these articles are very opionionated. Just because an adult doesn't like to read adult books, does not make them any less of an adult. The hype of books surrounds the young adult genre and of course if your a book reader and you hear that a certain book is good, the chances that your going to read it is pretty high. A lot of young adult fiction is turned into films which in return makes people want to read(I know thats how I am)no matter what age you are. Young adult fiction is a popular genre and people want to get away from there life and read into an imaginary life, no matter what the age. Paige H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100% !! couldn't have said it any better Paige! But its true, we should be able to read what we want without having to worry about being judged.

      Zach O.

      Delete
  16. Stephanie M
    "Mind Over Mass Media"
    I really liked this article. It kind of put me in my place with my negative attitude about technology. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate technology, I am just annoyed with the constant use of social networking and text messaging, and the priority that they take in our lives. Yes...I have teenagers who live for that. Drives me crazy. lol When verbalizing my disgust with this, I seem to generalize and group all of technology together. I am not saying that social networking and text messaging is all wrong either. I believe there is a time and a place and that we need to use self-control so that it doesn't take over other important things in our life.
    It is not technology that is making us read less, or become less intelligent. When used correctly, and with self-control, technology is a very valuable tool in our lives. Many great things are happening in science because of technology. Brainpower is being expanded with technology. I love that the author draws the parallel between reading and "you are what you eat." It is true. What we study and immerse ourselves in, is what we are accomplished in. We are all not intelligent in the same areas because we all have different interests and immerse ourselves in different information. I love that he talks about the distractions with technology and how we need to use self-control just like with anything else. I love his closing remarks that says "Far from making us stupid, these technologies are the only things that will keep us smart"(Pinker).
    Does anyone else agree with this? I feel that he is correct, and I had to swallow some humble pie in regards to my attitude about technology. Thanks for listening to me lecture myself today. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mind Over Mass Media"

      I had made a comment for the "Twilight of the Books" blog that was similar to what Pinker was trying to state here. Technology isn't making us less intelligent. It is based on our use of it that decides whether it is beneficial to our mental power. The fact is, these new inventions are inspiring us to make something better. Information is increasing at a higher rate continuously, and we have that as an advantage.

      When a new piece of technology gets released, there are always people who argue if it is making us more dependable on it for what we need. The older generations often become arrogant and think they don't need any of the new technology to replace what they already have. They will still ignore the new technology, regardless if the benefits are much better.

      Pinker states that media critics think we are going to a "you are what you eat" mentality, where you become whatever your brain consumes. Pinker mentioned how "comic books were accused of turning juveniles into delinquents in the 1950s," when in reality crime was falling to record lows. He also notes that the "denunciations of video games in the 1990s coincided with the great American crime decline" and even the "decades of television, transistor radios and rock videos were also decades in which I.Q. scores rose continuously."

      In the article "Twilight of the Books" by Caleb Crain, he states how how we are moving from a generation of "primary orality' to a generation of "secondary orality", because of the rise of technology is over-powering the use of books. The fact is, we have more technology than ever before because of the number of "primary orality" people, or people who can think critically. Yes, there are some who use Google, PowerPoint, Twitter, and email to the extent where it just becomes a useless hobby. But, it can be used in very effective ways to gain information, and make a powerful case of information. Using technology -- whether it be for searching the internet for information or just playing video games -- causes us to think in new and different ways. Pinker makes a strong case of how new technology will make us smarter. As long as we can practice self-control, we can utilize technology to benefit everything we do. Practicing our habits of thinking will allow us to upkeep our knowledge and become smarter, and it isn't based on whether we use a heavy research book or the information found on the internet to support it.

      - Jay Dee G.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. I do agree with you completely. Though I sometimes find myself cursing technology this article really made me realize I should be cursing myself. After reading this I have found it easier to put in place self control. Technology is a huge help in everyday situations with this control, it isn't here to make us stupid but to help us utilize time and increase our knowledge.

      Hannah Eaton

      Delete
    5. Shelbi Fernelius "Mind over Mass"

      I agree completly. I have noticed with myself and myfriends we always have our cell phones or some sort of gadget. When I have conversations with them, more often than not they are texting as well. At the rate we are going we aren't going to be able to carry on an actual conversation. I do agree with that quote from Pinker. We have can access anything we want at the touch of a finger tip. Pretty soon that is how we will learn is through technology.

      Delete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. David Welch

    "The ABCs of E-reading"

    What do you think of the idea that libraries are expanding services that let people check out e books and then lock down right at the end of the day its due?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the idea of e book check out in general. However, with libraries expanding to this service I feel that they should simply charge for the extra days as they would with an overdue book. I don't think locking down the book would be beneficial to the person using it especially if they weren't done.

      Hannah Eaton

      Delete
  19. "Mind Over Mass Media"

    I loved this article. And i totally agree with the author when he said that technology make us smarter.
    It also make us close to everything far in this world. Moreover, when a new technology come out, people always panic about it. People panic about everything they don't like until they get it, then they like it. It is something normal. Technology does not make us less intelligent. In fact, it encourage others to come out with something better and more sophisticated.

    Fatimah Al

    ReplyDelete